Summer nights are almost here, promising those golden evenings with family and friends, relaxing as the temperatures cool down and the stars come out. There’s something magical about summer nights, isn’t there? This year, you can add “watch a movie under the stars” to your summer bucket list and check it off at any one of these free outdoor movie events.
Movies Under the Stars | Boise
June through August, the Boise Parks and Recreation Department and Boise Schools Education Foundation will host a series of nine family-friendly movies at parks throughout town. These events are fun-filled evenings with something for everyone. Each movie night starts at 7:00 pm with field games like capture the flag and dodgeball provided by the Parks and Recreation Mobile Recreation Van. Movies in the park begin at dusk on an enormous 30’ inflatable screen.
Movies Under the Stars 2019 Schedule
- June 15: Mary Poppins Returns - Ann Morrison Park, 1000 S Americana Blvd.
- June 21: Ralph Breaks the Internet - Bowden Park, 3230 W Edson St.
- June 22: Christopher Robin - Redwood Park, 2675 N Shamrock St.
- June 29: Small Foot - Fort Boise Park, 155 E Garrison St.
- July 13: Bumblebee - Cassia Park, 4600 W Camas St.
- July 20: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Ann Morrison Park, 1000 S Americana Blvd.
- July 27: A Dogs Way Home - Peppermint Park, 2030 S Sumpter Way.
- August 3: Solo: A Star Wars Story - Simplot Sports Complex, 2437 E Lake Forest Dr.
- August 10: Incredibles 2 - Julia Davis Park, 700 S Capitol Blvd.
CableONE Movie Night | Meridian
With an impressive lineup of weekly classics and new family-friendly hits, the popular Meridian CableONE Movie Night events are returning this summer. Every Friday from June through August, you can catch a movie at Settlers Park for free. Community partners and vendors join every week so you can enjoy a refreshing beverage from Dutch Bros and stroll through booths and displays—sometimes even bounce houses and giveaways. Movies start at dusk. 3245 N Meridian Rd.
CableONE Movie Night Schedule
- June 7: Mary Poppins Returns
- June 14: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- June 21: A Dog's Way Home
- June 28: Kung Fu Panda 3
- July 5: The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
- July 12: Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
- July 19: Finding Nemo
- July 26: Ralph Breaks the Internet
- August 2: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
- August 9: Smallfoot
- August 16: Incredibles 2
Silver Screen on the Green | Nampa
The Nampa Parks and Recreation Department hosts free outdoor movie showings throughout the summer at Optimist Park. Fun, family-friendly activities begin at 8:30 and movies start at dusk. Since 2014, this event has been a favorite of Nampa residents and has expanded over past years as it has grown in popularity. 16680 11th Ave N Ext.
Silver Screen on the Green Schedule
- June 14: Ralph Breaks the Internet
- June 21: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- June 28: Mary Poppins Returns
- July 5: The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
- July 12: Incredibles 2
- July 19: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
- July 26: Dr. Suess’ The Grinch (2018)
- August 2: Tangled
Starlight Cinema Series | Indian Creek Plaza (Caldwell)
- June 6: Aquaman
- June 13: Trolls
- June 20: Bumblebee
- June 27: Footloose
- July 4: Top Gun
- July 11: Jurassic Park
- July 18: Mamma Mia!
- July 25: The Lego Movie
- August 1: Raiders of the Lost Ark
- August 8: Hook
- August 15: Beetlejuice
- August 22: Grease
Area Drive-In Theaters
If you’re looking for nostalgic fun, why not head to one of the Treasure Valley’s drive-in movie theaters? Drive-in theaters are a classic summer activity, and there are a few within driving distance of the Boise area and ready for you to check out this season.
Terrace Drive-In Theater, Caldwell: You can see back-to-back features at the Terrace Drive-In for one ticket price. Whether you sprawl out in a truck bed, sit outside your vehicle in comfortable chairs or watch from your front seat, you’ll have a great time at Caldwell’s drive-in theater.
Parma MotorVu, Parma: The historic Parma MotorVu drive-in theater has been around since 1953, and its midcentury vibe is sure to stir up your nostalgia. Furry friends are welcome to join you, and you can purchase their famous popcorn made in the original 1953 machine.
Be in the Know
When you head out to an outdoor showing of your favorite classic or new family movie, remember to come prepared. Bring blankets to sit on, but avoid tall chairs or large coolers and strollers; you don’t want to be that guy blocking your fellow movie-goers’ view. Pack a few snacks and drinks, but leave behind the alcohol.
Don’t forget that as the sun goes down, the bugs come out so bring along your bug spray. Temperatures will drop even on the hottest days, so bring your sweatshirt along to keep the chill off. Check the website for any event you’re going to beforehand and read through it carefully: every movie night will have different rules regarding pets, unattended minors, and things to consider.
With this list in hand, you can lock in your summer outdoor movie night plans. What else is on your Boise summer bucket list?